May 11, 2010

Carribbean Cruise Part 2
Eastern Carribbean: Princess Cays, Bahamas; St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk

Dave and I were fortunate enough to take our second carribbean cruise. We went on our first cruise 3 years ago to the western carribbean(Bahamas, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, Mexico). Now we were able to go on our second cruise and see some of the islands on the Eastern side of the Carribbean. We went with our good friends Jeremy and Heidi, who we also went on our first cruise with. So it was kind of like a reunion of sorts. Many things were different this time, we have three kids and back then we had two, Jeremy and Heidi had no kids yet, and now they have one. We also have changed a lot and it seems like our lives are now more complex. It seemed harder to leave for a week this time. But it was a great break from reality and the beaches and places we saw were amazing. We had a lot of fun together and made some special memories that I will never forget. I enjoyed watching Dave relax and let loose. He has been working very hard these past couple years and his hard work has allowed us to have this vacation! We made a little game of finding out where the camera man would be on the cruise ship so we could get on the cruise video that they were filming. It's funny because we tried so hard to get in so many shots on the video, but yet we didn't even buy one. I mean the dvd was like 40 bucks. We brought our own video camera and were able to capture moments ourselves for free! But it was fun to see the video once we got back to our rooms and see how much "camera time" we all got. We also had a lot of laughs at one of the cruise ship entertainment guys. His name was Boogie and he was from Romania. He hosted an open mike one night and he was not good because since English wasn't his first language many of the jokes were "lost in translation". At one point he made a joke and only one person laughed and instead of saying "thank you to the one person who got the joke" or something to that effect he would say "thank you individually". I don't know why but we thought that was hilarious. So we had a lot of fun moments both on and off the ship. I would say that my favorite port was St. Thomas. It was beautiful and the island was very tropical with a lot of lush green trees and mountains. The other two islands were smaller and more desert like. One of the highlights of the excursions Dave and I did was to take a beginning scuba diving class in St. Thomas. We both enjoyed that and want to get certified here in Utah. It's so neat to be able to swim around with the fish and see all of the underwater stuff.
So that was our big vacation of 2010. Hopefully it isn't too long before we go on another one like it, but next time we will probably bring the kids. It's too hard to be away from them for so long. And they really missed us by the end of the week. Maybe a two night vacation would be better.
Here's a slideshow of the highlights of the trip.


3 comments:

emily said...

Stace!! That looks like so much fun! Those kind of trips are the best! I agree with you that it will be so fun to do those with our kids when they're a little older! Glad you had a good time and that you're back safe! When are we getting together!?!?!?!

Heidi Kjar said...

Staci I want to go back right now!!Those were so fun to look at. And I loved reading what you wrote, captured the memories perfectly. Good ole Boogie. I kinda miss that guy:). 2013 baby! you know we have to do it every 3 years!!

elisha said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Maybe we'll start a tradition :)