June 26, 2010

Jacob's Baptism Day
I took a bunch of pictures of Jacob to put on his invitations and program, and this is my fav
Jacob posing in his new "dad" suit


Our family on the baptism day


The whole extended family


Jacob blowing out his candles on the cakes his aunt Carrie made him
Jacob's baptism was on June 5, 2010. What a wonderful day it was. I have been to several baptisms over the past four years since I've been serving in our ward primary presidency and as a primary teacher. I thought I'd be prepared for what to expect, but it's just not the same when it's your own child being baptized. It was a powerful and spiritual experience to have Dave baptism our first born child and confirm upon him the gift of the Holy Ghost. Dave was moved during the baptism prayer and got a little choked up, which in turn got my tears flowing. Then when Jacob came up out of the water he was grinning from ear to ear. While they were changing out of their wet clothes Jacob told Dave that he felt really warm. Dave said you mean it's warm in here? And Jacob said no, he felt really warm inside. That's such a special moment when your child feels the spirit and can recognize what it feels like.
The program for his baptism was chosen by Jacob and he wanted his two cousins, Spencer Yates and Gracie Adams, to give talks. They both did a great job, Gracie talked about the ordinance of baptism and Spencer talked about the Holy Ghost. We also had some cousins, including Kera, sing "When I am Baptized". After the baptism we had everyone over for a BBQ and to celebrate Jacob turning 8. It was a great day. We had most of our families here for the baptism. All of Dave's family flew in from Texas the day before, and all of my family that lives here in Utah were there, including my grandparents.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

COngrats..what a wonderful experience! It's amazing how different baptisms are here. They only do them once a month and they are so impersonal. I don't like it. There's no program of just your kid or him getting to pick the talks...we get totally jipped.

elisha said...

Love those pictures. Just reading about it brought tears to my eyes :) That is awesome!

Angela said...

I cannot believe you have an 8 year old..That is wonderful!!! He is so darn cute! Great fam photo.. you guys are cute..love your cute hair.