February 10, 2008

My tribute to President Hinckley

I've been thinking alot about our prophet President Hinckley since his passing, January 27, 2008. President Hinckley was such an amazing and wonderful man. I felt a deep sadness when I learned that he had passed away, because I will truly miss him. I know that he has been longing for his beloved wife Marjorie Pay Hinckley since she passed away four years ago, and I am sure their reunion was such a joy. For family home evening that Monday night, the day after President Hinckley passed away, I decided to do a special lesson about him. I started by reading in the new Joseph Smith manual about Joseph's vision in the Kirtland temple. I know that President Hinckley had such a strong testimony of temples and of temple work. He dedicated several new temples while being the prophet, more than any other latter day prophet. Then I decided to go around to each person and have them tell something special that they remember about President Hinckley. I told about the time I was in college at BYU and I was working at the bookstore. President Hinckley and President Faust came by the bookstore while I was working there one day and I was able to shake both of their hands. I remember feeling such a strong spirit when I shook their hands. I remember President Hinckley's eyes distinctly. They were a piercing blue color, and when I looked at him, I felt he could look straight into my soul. My testimony of him as our prophet was strengthened that day. Then Dave shared his thoughts about President Hinckley. He also remarked about when he was in college at BYU and president Hinckley came into the Marriott Center during the devotionals. He felt such a strong spirit enter the room whenever he entered and the hush fell over the crowd of people. His testimony of President Hinckley as our prophet was also strengthened that day. Then Kera went next, and she started out by saying "when I was in college"...because that's what both Dave and I said first. That made us laugh. She said she loves President Hinckley and that he is a great man. Jacob told us about the first time he saw a picture of President Hinckley, and he looked very kind. He also said that he remembers seeing President Hinckley speak at General Conference, and he felt the spirit. He had a good feeling inside whenever he heard him talk. Our family will miss President Gordon B. Hinckley. What a great example he was to us all. We look forward to having President Monson be our new prophet. He is also a remarkable man.
Here's a video clip that I saw on a friend's blog. I love the quotes in here. It was put together by BYU. Dave and I were very blessed to attend BYU as President Hinckley served as the prophet.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That was a wonderful tribute Staci! How great that your kids contributed as well in their remembrance. What a truly inspired and remarkable man he was!

Heidi Kjar said...

Ohhh that is so cute Stace. I loved reading that. That is actually really neat that your kids contributed their memories too, so sweet.