August 21, 2008

Final Update on Kera

I want to finalize the Kera sickness thing by saying that she is feeling much better now. I think she got used to waking up feeling sick each morning though because this morning she woke up and said her tummy hurt and she tried to go throw up, although nothing came out. Then she said "can I watch cartoons like I do when I'm sick?" So I think that was her way of getting to just sit and watch TV without having to get dressed or do anything else.
It dawned on me last Friday that she probably had the swimming pool virus, that cryptosporidium infection. She went swimming at the Orem Athletic club the Saturday before she got sick, and most likely swallowed some of the pool water. So that must have been what was making her sick. After researching about the crypto thing, the symptoms fit what she was dealing with: vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and fatigue. So I took her in last friday to get tested for it. They gave me a test kit to take home (stool sample). By this time her diarrhea had lessened, and then it was to late to use the test kit because it has to be liquidy(gross, I know). Anyway, we never tested her for it, but I'm pretty sure that's what she had. So just a warning to all of you moms who take their kids to the public pools, be aware and don't let your kids drink the pool water! And make sure there's nobody swimming who have had diarrhea for the past two weeks. I think it will be awhile before I let my kids swim in a public pool!

2 comments:

emily said...

That stinks! I'm glad she's feeling better, though. Good job figuring it all out. So, quick question. How are you supposed to know if anyone in the public pool has had diarrhea in the last two weeks?

Staci said...

Good question! That's funny. Yeah, I guess I meant make sure none of your kids have had diarrhea and hopefully if every parent did that, then there wouldn't be a problem. :)