August 26, 2008

My Jacob's in 1st grade

I know, I know, parents say this all the time, but I really can't believe Jacob is old enough to be in first grade. He is officially a big kid now going to school all day. He really likes it though, and so far he hasn't seemed too tired when I pick him up from school. His first day was good he said. He did get lost once on his way out of the lunchroom. He couldn't find anyone from his class. I guess they all went outside straight to recess. He was able to ask a yard duty, and she told him they were at recess. He also had to eat lunch without any friends. He said they tell you where to sit and you can't pick a spot, or else there was no room by any of his friends. One of those. He sat by a girl in his class named Brooke, but he didn't talk to her because she wasn't his friend, he said. He also said he played by himself during recess. I asked why he didn't play with anyone else and he said he couldn't find his friends. But he did play with one friend at the second recess. So I told him to make it a goal to play with other friends at recess and to find someone he knows to sit by at lunch. After school today he said he accomplished one goal, he got to play with friends during both recesses, but he still had to eat lunch alone. I'm sure that will change once he gets to know the kids in his class better. There's only one other boy in our primary in his class. His good friend Joseph has a different teacher.
So all in all Jacob is very happy about school. He likes his teacher and she seems very friendly. It's nice for me to have Jacob starting school early because I've been getting up earlier and going to bed earlier. I was getting in the habit of staying up late and sleeping in. So this just prepares me for when the baby is born and I'm always getting up early.



3 comments:

emily said...

Crazy how they're growing up, huh? I'm glad he's liking it and I hope lunch becomes more fun for him!

Heidi said...

1st grade is oh so scary...for us parents and for these little kids too!! Staying all day is tiring and long for them, I have noticed already. But I know with time they will have it down!

Evelyn said...

Jacob is such a big boy now and so handsome. Before you know it, Kera will be starting school (pretty scary). Jonah is already in the 3rd grade and Micah is in the 10th grade (so time does fly so fast). from Evelyn