August 12, 2008

I'm puzzled...

For the past week almost Kera has been exhibiting some strange illness/vomiting issues. It started last Tuesday. In the middle of the night Kera threw up in her bed. In the morning she came into my room and said there was "red stuff" on her bed. I go in there to see a very unpleasant site. She had thrown up all over her bed and it had all dried up. (Sorry for the graphic image). I found it a little odd that she had done that. But she seemed just fine that morning. So after washing all of her bedding, I kept a close eye on her throughout the day. No strange behavior from her. She was fine for another whole day, so I think it's just a fluke. But sure enough, she wakes me up Thursday morning and says her tummy hurts. It's about 5 a.m. at this time. So I take her into the bathroom where she throws up. I put her back in bed, and she's still saying her tummy hurts, and then she has to go potty(diarrhea). Okay, so finally I get her to go back to sleep. Later when she wakes up she's fine. By fine I mean bouncing around acting as if she had never felt sick at all. So the rest of the day goes smoothly (although a few more loose stool episodes.) Then Friday morning she's fine and is doing well again until she wakes up Saturday morning saying her tummy hurts once again. She proceeds to throw up again (it's about 5 a.m. this time too). She throws up again a few minutes later. Then she goes back to sleep and when she wakes up around 10 a.m., fine. No problems. The whole day she's great, and Sunday is fine all day. Monday goes smoothly, no real problems, just some mild diarrhea. Then this morning she comes into my room about 6 a.m. and says her tummy hurts again. I'm thinking no way can she be doing this again. It seemed like this was over with. But nope, she goes to the bathroom and throws up. I go put her back in bed and when she woke up later that morning, guess what? Just fine. She's been fine all day long. So I'm just waiting to see what tomorrow morning brings, or doesn't bring. I don't know. I'm really stumped on this one. Nobody else in our family has gotten sick. I can't figure out what could be wrong. If any of you out there may have any ideas or have ever experienced this before, let me know! I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. I'll post an update after she sees the doctor, if there's anything they can tell me.

4 comments:

Jer said...

That is strange. Could she have mold or something in her bed or a nearby window sill? Sometimes it can be inside the walls. I know that is a long shot, but who knows. You should definitely update after the doctor. I hope everything goes well.

Jeremy

Heidi said...

When Mason was 11 months old he had throwing up and diarrhea for 10 days before we finally had to take him to the hospital for an iv. He had what they call Rota Virus.
Is she eating everything fine during the day?? Because he would act fine and stuff but diarrhea all day and night and then occasional throw up...for 10 days!! Aaahhh!! I feel your pain! Good luck!!

emily said...

I am so sorry! I hate the gross and sad parts of being a mom! The only thing that I would suggest would be to pay close attention to what she eats (maybe even keep a log) and see if there are any correlations. I would definitely take her to the doctor though...that's a long time for this to still be going on! Good luck and keep us posted!

Heidi Kjar said...

I went to Tanner Clinic to do a lunch today. I told a pediatrician and a nurse there about this to see if they had any advice. The nurse said she has seen a lot of this lately! And that it can be a number of different things, but that you should get her into the doc asap. I know not much help, but that is what they said? The doc basically said the same thing
and that it could be a variety of things. Once again not much help! Hey at least I tried! Good luck.